Wednesday, April 9, 2008

God Speaks Russian.


God speaks Russian. Did you ever think of that fact? God laid that on my heart as I stood beside a beautiful Russian babushka in church. It was Sunday morning and I found myself standing by someone’s Russian grandma trying to sing Russian words I couldn’t even read on a page. She kept showing me the lines where everyone sang, and I could even say I “ya nie panie mayu” meaning “I don’t understand.” And then God told me “I do.” Wow. For some reason I thought God spoke English. Well English and Spanish.


I was talking to a friend of mine back in the United States and realized the places I had gone and things I had done, people I had seen since the last time I saw him and he is still selling pizza. Since the last time I saw him, he said, “I have an apartment, a car, money, everything I need to live a comfortable life.” And then he said something I will never forget, “I am living the American dream and I hate it.” He continues to sell pizza. Not that that is not a glorious job or anything, but he would be the first to tell you “that’s not what I was made for.” This is not what he dreamed of doing all his life. Do what you love and love what you do. It reminds me of a song that says, “This ain’t my American dream. I want to live and die for bigger things.”

If God speaks Russian, then I want to too. Because God loves the Russian people and if there is anything I can do to help them know Him better, then I will give the rest of my life to do that.

No comments: