Thursday, May 22, 2008

Child-like Hands and Feet

I was wearing a red leotard with small white stars that looked like polka dots from far away. Gripping the edge of the floor mat with my toes, I’m not sure if it was nervousness or an attempt to muster up all the confidence in my eleven-year-old body for the challenge ahead. I looked over at the panel of judges with sheets of scoring sheets—their eyes glaring at me from their brown rimmed glasses. Alexa—my gymnastics coach sat on side, caught my eye, smiled at me confidently, and gave me her nod that meant, “Whenever you are ready Cristina.”
I started my long-rehearsed routine with summersaults and jumps, and sharp spins and twirls with my feet. My small, childlike hands and feet.


I finished and saluted like the gymnasts I have watched so many times in the Olympics, glancing one last time at Alexa, she gave me a thumbs up. Satisfied, I walked off the mat to take my place and hear the judge’s verdict. A second-place blue ribbon was pinned on my shirt and my arms were filled with stuffed animals, candy, and coupons for free burgers and McDonalds.
Sometimes I still feel like my spiritual hands and feet are small. Childlike. Those are the times I realize that I might always be childlike is my ways. And God will always have to smile, nod reassuringly and say, “Whenever you are ready Cristina.”


Do you ever long to do something more. Or maybe we did it in the past and we long for that again. Kind of how I feel about gymnastics, although I think my body would rebel at the thought now. We see others around us, with that sparkle in their eyes, and we long to have it.

I want to be the skater.

I want to be the twirler.

I want to be the glider.

I want to be the world changer.

So, together, God and I have decided to change the world. A lot of lovers make these kinds of promises of changing the world, but how many ever do it?

God and I…we’re going to change the world! And I mean this seriously. Give it all, until I don’t have anymore, then He can pick up the torch and carry me further.

I was thinking about my life. I was thinking about writing another book. I was thinking about learning how to play the guitar well. Become a better photographer, a better cook! My thoughts were along these lines: Maybe when I’m older. Or later. Or something. But then I won’t have time. Then I’ll have dishes to wash, children to tuck in bed, and laundry to fold. I won’t have time to be a photographer. Write a book. Sing. Act.

I want to do EVERYTHING God wants me to do, and be GREAT. If all God calls me to is be a mom, or take care of children for the rest of my life…that will be great. SO great I get excited just thinking about it! But for now He has called me to be single, living in Mexico, working with girls, and that is great, SO great!

Then the thought came: But don’t waste today.

So we're starting today. Jesus and I. We’re a team, I’m His daughter, friend and beloved…and He’ll provide energy and strength for me. He and I, together we’ll change the world. So, come, join us on the challenge. Dust of your gear and come do something great.

1 comment:

Christy said...

Aw. Cristina, that was precious.